MIPCO is a combination of a brownfield and greenfield development delivering a power generating and seawater desalination plant producing 1,702 megawatts and 53 million gallons of water per day. The project began commercial operations in October 2017.
Abu Dhabi National Energy Company (TAQA) owns 60 percent of MIPCO, with Sojitz and ENGIE each holding 20 percent.
MIPCO consists of five integrated elements as follows:
- Combined Cycle Gas Turbine (CCGT) Greenfield Power Plant;
- Reverse Osmosis (RO) Greenfield Desalination Plant;
- Refurbishment and integration of transferred 22.5 million gallons of water per day Multi Stage Flash (MSF) Brownfield Desalination Plant;
- Refurbishment and construction of transferred Open Cycle Gas Turbine (OCGT) Packages (4x90 MW GT units) and OCGT Inventories (ex-Zawra stored in the UAE since 2006) delivering a 360 megawatts OCGT Brownfield Power Plant;
- Acquisition, refurbishment of existing shared facilities and construction of new shared facilities.