The Taweelah Reverse Osmosis (RO) facility at the Al Taweelah Power and Water Desalination Complex in Abu Dhabi will be the largest RO water desalination plant in the world when completed in 2022. The plant will be 44 percent bigger than the world’s current largest RO plant in terms of capacity, supplying 909,200 cubic metres per day.
The desalination facility will is sufficiently to meet the water demand for over 350,000 households. The Taweelah plant will set new benchmarks for efficiency and cost of water produced with the adoption of RO technology instead of thermal desalination.
A partnership between Abu Dhabi National Energy Company (TAQA) and Mubadala Investment Company holds a 60 percent equity interest in the Taweelah Reverse Osmosis project with the remaining 40 percent held by ACWA Power.